iPress ToolsBased on the conventional publishing process, which is divided into three steps, iPress offers three tools that takes care of creating, reviewing and publishing content for the millions of app users around the world..
iPress BuilderThe iPress Builder is the first tool that you will use so as to create your content, regardless of type. Since this tool has features that will help you to add all types of multimedia content, it’s sure to come in handy especially if you’d like your business to reach out to a number of consumers that are comfortable with apps, iOS devices and digital media in a variety of forms.
iPress ViewerSince you are building content that will be viewed using iPads, smartphones and other mobile devices, it only makes sense that this tool, which takes care of the review process, should be used on these devices too. This is for the simple reason that you can view your work much like your customers would view a finished magazine or book, giving you that ‘real world’ feel. Without a doubt, in being able to view a presentation from the user’s perspective, you should be able to judge what does and doesn’t work.
iPress PublisherThis tool handles the entire publishing and distribution process that is really one and the same. Once you’re done building and reviewing your content and deem it ready for distribution, the iPress Publisher is what you need in order to complete the final step of publishing. Compared to the other two, it is web-based, and one needs to create an account before using it to distribute their apps and content.
FeaturesBased on the conventional publishing process, which is divided into three steps, iPress offers three tools that takes care of creating, reviewing and publishing content for the millions of app users around the world.
NavigationBrowsing is a noticeable feature of this tool, and can be carriedout in three ways such as
- Orientation: View content in either portrait or landscape mode
- Pixie Bar: View the flat plan (table of contents), list the bookmarked pages, navigate out to contextual help and read captions to contents. Thanks to a ticker, you can also navigate on the web through keywords added by the author.
- Kiosk: Offers options such as Newsstand compatibility, integrated subscription as well as the preview of magazines, books or comics.
PixieThe Pixie is a very innovative feature that displays a contextual menu with a number of services and that are not limited to:
- Explorer: Links out to the Web, News, Social Media, Shopping, Wikipedia and Maps
- Sharer: Connects to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and email.
- Noter: Helps you make notes of using Bookmark, Contact information, Agenda and Print
- Shopper: Helps you add more options such as Catalog, Info and Shops
MultimediaCreating an iPress project allows you to use media in a number of ways in its overall presentation. Some of these features include:
- Text: Multi-columns with links between columns, scrolling, typographic management, wrapping objects and easy localization in a number of languages
- Image: You can arrange images in Mosaic, Index, Slideshow and Gallery form
- Audio/Video: Some of the features available are a player, full screen display, autoplay, poster that is within the choice of the frame within the video), URL or a local file.
- Map: Features such as dynamic map integration with several hotspots
- HTML5: Integration are also available
Buttons & LinksAn advanced feature in iPress Builder involves using a combination of both buttons and links where objects can be linked to other objects. Some examples that use this feature are:
- Watching slideshows in synchronizing the images with video and audio
- Adding webpage links
- Audio/Video: Some of the features available are audio/video player, full-screen display, autoplay, static display image which is the screenshot of a video sequence, playing media from an URL or a local file, etc.
- Some of the features available are a player, full screen display, autoplay and posters that are clickable.
Tech SpecificationsBased on the conventional publishing process, which is divided into three steps, iPress offers three tools that takes care of creating, reviewing and publishing content for the millions of app users around the world.
- iPress Builder (Mac)
- Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
- Mac OS X v10.7, v10.8, or v10.9
- 2 GB of RAM (8GB recommended)
- 1 GB of available hard-disk space for installation
- 1024×768 display (1280×800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB of VRAM (1 GB recommended)
- Internet connection and registration are necessary for publishingiPress Viewer (iPad)
- 1024×768 display (1280×800 recommended) with 32-bit video card.
- Supports Retina display
Platforms CompatibilityBefore we begin, here are the platforms on which you can run iPress on so as to create content and build apps:
- iPress Builder: All versions of OS X
- Press Viewer: iOS 6 and above and Android at the end of 2014
Media CompatibilityWhen it comes to media compatibility, iPress is very flexible, and here are a few reasons why:
- Use media formats such as TXT, JPEG, PNG, PDF, MP4, H264, MP3
- Import InDesign documents into the iPress Library (with InDesign plugin)
- Map objects based on Google Maps
- Supports Retina display
PrerequisitesPrior to using the iPress publishing platform, here are a few steps that you need to carry out before building your first app:
- Create or verify your Apple ID
- Register as an Apple Developer and pay the US$99 annual fee
- Download the iPress software